Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Perez Zeledon, Cartago, Costa Rica 4.20.15

Dear Family and Friends,

I call be the fun uncle! Awesome. A little baby boy. I can't wait to meet him. I saw the photos and Megan still doesn't look like she's growing. Does all the baby growth take the last 2 months or what? Also, have you thought of names yet? I think Barry, Bart, Wally, or Jay would be good names. Just saying. And Caden or Donevan. Just throwing those ones out there as well.
This week I had a pretty cool experience. We were walking to go give service to a less active family. They weren't home so we began to start walking back to the apartment to get in missionary clothes. As we walked, I began thinking of Soccer as we passed by a field. I was wearing the Selection jersey of Colombia so I was thinking about what it would feel like to walk onto the field in the World Cup. Representing your nation on the biggest stage right? I began thinking of the Olympics and how that would feel to enter and hear all the voices chanting USA. I began to recall one of my favorite films called Miracle. It's about the USA hockey team that defeated the Russian team in the 70s or 80s. I dont remember which. I began thinking of what it would be like to put on that jersey and walk out. I remember the sign where Kurt Russell says, "You are about to go up against the best teams in the world" and picturing myself with my team as they walked out. One of the most powerful scenes is as they are walking to play Russia, they touch the letters of their loved ones wishing them luck like they were about to fight for something so much greater than a game or themselves. 
It was at this moment the Spirit pulled me back into reality and I felt the weight of my plague. I had an impression come to mind and once again a quote came into my mind. "Elder Neider, who do you play for?" as I walked my sports fantasy changed into reality and I began to understand my purpose as a missionary on a whole new level. 
I know that I am a representative of Jesus Christ. I know that this is His church. I testify that He lives. And because He lives, He continues to call living prophets and apostles to help us on our journey home. I love my family with all my heart. I hope that those that our struggling right now can look to the Savior now. He loves you. He knows your name. 
To close with this "Miracle" experience, ill end with a quote from President Gordon B Hinckley addressed to the holders of the Priesthood but which i think applies to all members who have taken upon themselves the name of Christ. 

"May you walk as you should" 

Sigamos Adelante,

-Elder Neider  

No comments:

Post a Comment